Thursday, 11 September 2014

Transmission Error - Normal Services Shall Resume Shortly

So it's been nearly two weeks since I wrote a post and I'm terribly sorry. It has felt very strange not to be posting on a regular basis. The main reason it took me so long to write is because I was scared. My sister threatened me with a solicitors letter if I ever mentioned her on my blog again.

Family feuds are the worst kind of hurts, they are wounds that split the skin in such a way, it never truly heals again.

Although this blog is a personal expression of my life and opinions, I am mindful of the fact not everybody is comfortable with broadcasting their lives online. As such, I've taken a number of precautions from the beginning to respect the privacy of the people in my life who will pop up in this blog from time to time.

In particular regard to my sister and the events of the last few months, I have been scant on detail. I've blogged that there was a family fight, without ever once going into the details of it; I've expressed my feelings and perspectives at the situation, which given that's the modus operandi of my blog isn't unusual. I've mentioned the situation only when it was having an effect on my day-to-day life. The post that seemed to cause the most annoyance was this one and honestly, if after reading about how badly the situation was affecting my Mum and the only thing you were concerned with was how it made you look or the fact it mentioned you, you seriously need to take a long hard look at yourself.

The fact that my sister felt it perfectly acceptable to threaten me with legal action as a means to intimidate me into silence, I believe, shows how rotten the apple has truly become. The funny thing is, I know the legal limitations of my blogging - and I also know I'm well within those limitations. From the moment the metaphorical bow was flung, I knew it was an empty threat - at least in terms of ramifications for me. Or to put it another way, she hasn't a leg to stand on.

You might be wondering why I'm even talking about this now, after what has happened, what's been said. It's because when I started this blog, I made a promise to myself and to my readers that I would honestly document my life. The good and the bad, the strange and unusual. It's easy to write about simple, happy stuff all the time. But that's not life, certainly not my life. I doubt I'll be writing about my sister in anyway anytime soon as I don't foresee there being any interaction to document. And while her attempt to intimidate did work for a few days, I realised that I'm not going to let anyone suppress my right of expression. It's just wrong. If a person is making defamatory comments about you or is explicitly infringing on your personal life, than you have a problem.

But you cannot gag someone just because you don't like their opinion of you and you certainly can't gag me.

Mucho Love,

Vicky xoxo

Post a Comment