Friday, 1 August 2014

The Inaugural Hot List

Happy August 1, peeps. It's technically the beginning of Autumn and the weather seems to have gotten the memo, with showers spreading and temperatures cooling.

Anyone who knows me is aware of the countless notebooks, A4 pads and jotters that I keep on my person at all times. This is partly due to being a writer and partly due to my dreadful memory for certain information. I can recall historical dates and the minute details of complex news stories, but ask me the name of that song I keep playing on repeat and you'll see me drawing a blank.

As a result, I have a litany of pages, receipts, scripts, newspaper articles and post-its that keep track of my life. Every few weeks, I distill these sources of information into one document that I then tack above my desk. This magical document is a smörgåsbord of films to watch, music to listen to, TV shows to catch on demand, books to find, people to research, and anything else that piques my interest.

It makes for interesting, if eclectic and odd, reading. Because most of the contents come from suggestions - reviews, articles, water-cooler chatter - I've decided to start sharing my list at the beginning of each month. In order to make it easier to decipher, I've broken it down into categories. Some of the listings are new releases, others have been knocking around a while but I've yet to consume them. If you think there's anything I'm missing out on, let me know!





                                                              The August Hot List




Watch: Requiem For A Dream (film); Veep S1; In The Thick Of It (TV show); Mud (film); The Insider (film); Silicon Valley (TV show); The Killing S4 (TV show); Treme (TV show); The Honourable Woman (TV show); Our World War (BBC documentary); Gomorrah (TV show); Drinking Buddies (film).

Read: Manhattan Transfer, John Dos Passos; Answered Prayers, Truman Capote; The Vogue Factor Kirstie Clements; Dusty, Karen Bartlett; The New Men, John Enfield; Politics, David Runaiman; The Human Stain, Philip Roth.

Research: WWOOF, digital security, Steve Jobs.

Try: Glossybox; Cornsilk Face Powder; Cleaver East; Alfie Byrne's; Chocolate Beetroot Cake; Homemade pizza dough.

Listen: 'Get Hurt', The Gaslight Anthem; 'Wanted On Voyage', George Ezra; 'Nashville' soundtrack; Duke Ellington; Stevie Nicks.


Mucho Love,

Vicky xoxo

Post a Comment