Wednesday, 9 July 2014

The Prodigal Return

In the run-up to my first day back at RTÉ, I was nervous and excited. After twelve weeks of leave, it felt like returning to school after the Summer break; everything's the same, but you're a little different. 

I dressed myself with care, did my make-up, styled my hair and pushed my shoulders back. With music in my ears and my cotag in bag, I journeyed back to my old stomping ground. 

My first day back couldn't have been better. Colleagues warmly greeted me and it was universally agreed that I had been missed, which is always rather sweet to hear. The rhythm of my work had not been diminished by time and I was delighted to be assigned to the copy desk for the majority of the evening. 

I spent most of the 6.1 news with the Israel Ambassador to Ireland, 
Boaz Moda, a guest on the program. Between WIP and my career, I've been fortunate enough to meet many distinguished and prestigious individuals over the last few years. Ambassador Moda is a lovely man, very down-to-earth and personable. 

Taking care of a guest before their appearance on a program results in unique and interesting conversations. He spoke of his work, the problems facing his country and Palestine, and due to the news report in the background, we discussed our mutual surprise that there are so many Garth Brooks fans in Ireland. He confessed that he had never heard of the country crooner before this whole debacle; Brooks isn't big in Israel. 

It was a busy news day and as I dashed around, hopping from one task to another, I felt exhilarated and at home. I hadn't realised how much I missed the buzz of live TV until I was thrust into its belly again. 

As I made my way out of the building late last night, I remembered how magical the place is, even when it's quiet. Descending into the silence of TV reception - the staff and guests long gone - the peaceful familiarity made me smile. Even after three years of working here, I still get a buzz from belonging to this world. 

Today will be spent submitting the final edit for my book contribution (a tale for another time), planning of future projects, errands to the shop and the bank, and an evening meeting with a colleague. Tomorrow, I'll be back in RTÉ as the carousel begins all over. 

It is in this flux that I feel most alive. 

Mucho Love,

Vicky xoxo 
Post a Comment