Sunday marked what would've been her 86th Birthday. In honour of that, here are something we learned from Audrey Hepburn, and why she will always be an inspiration, a style icon and all-round role model.
1. Black turtlenecks are always stylish.
2. "Let’s face it, a nice creamy chocolate cake does a lot for a lot of people. It does for me.” Chocolate may not be the solution to every problem, but it definitely helps
3. Eye make-up can transform your face.
4. Don't be afraid to look like a goon.
5. Perspective and outlook is everything. “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”
6. Always carry a pair of large sunglasses.
7. Don't give up on a dream. Originally, Truman Capote wanted Marilyn Monroe for the role of Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffanys's. Hepburn was not considered sexy enough for the character. She fought her corner and made the role her own.
8. Stand up for what you believe in. Moon River very nearly didn't make the cut for Tiffany's. But Hepburn believed in Henry Mancini and his bitter-sweet tune and said so loud and proud. The song became one of this biggest hits and forever associated with Golightly's character.
9. You can be wise and beautiful:
10. The importance of charity. Hepburn served as a Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF and worked internationally to improve the lives of children. In honour of her philanthropy, the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund was established in 1994 to carry on her work. “I speak for those children who cannot speak for themselves, children who have absolutely nothing but their courage and their smiles, their wits and their dreams.”
11. Take a risk. Roman Holiday was Hepburn's first lead-role and many didn't would be able to pull it off. She ended up winning an Oscar for her portrayal of a trapped Princess.
12.Do your job; impress the hell outta everyone. Gregory Peck who played her love interest in Roman Holiday, insisted that despite him being the known Hollywood star and her being a nobody, Hepburn's name was presented in the same line as his on movie posters and promotional materials.
12. Society gets it wrong. Hepburn never considered herself beautiful and for a long time, society told her she wasn't. Her figure and features were not in vogue in a time of Monroe curves. But she knew what worked for her and never changed to fit in with the fashions. As a result, she became a global standard of beauty. “I never thought I’d land in pictures with a face like mine.”
13. You can never have too many friends. Along with Peck, Hepburn maintained life-long friendships with many of her colleagues.
14. Don’t waste time and effort trying to convince a man of your worth. In her role as Sabrina in the 1954 film by the same name, Audrey learns that a man who can’t see your value on his own is not worth pursuing
15. “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” Grab every chance at love.
16. Find your real-life Tiffany's and give the cat a name.
17. “Happy girls are the prettiest girls.”
18. “Forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."